Whether you consider yourself a jewellery connoisseur or just starting out on your journey in the field, it is never too early or late to learn how to properly clean your treasured pieces and keep them looking their best for years to come.
With our professional tips and secrets you will be well on your way to making the most of the treasures in you collection and preserving them for generations to come.
First and foremost storage is key. Before you even think about starting a cleaning regime you should consider how your jewellery is stored in the long term. Ring dishes look great on a vanity table, however they are only suitable for a short term, storage solution of pieces that are in regular use. We suggest that you find a suitable jewellery box, specially designed to keep pieces separate, in order to avoid scratching, loosening of stone settings and gathering of dust.
Cleaning Gold and Gemstone jewellery pieces
Bowl x 2
Liquid soap (preferably pure soap or simple dish washing liquid)
Soft toothbrush x 1
Soft cotton cloth x 1
1. Separate your jewellery in categories rings/ earrings / necklaces. Take extra care with pendants and necklaces as they can easily get tangled up and damaged.
2. Fill your first bowl with warm (not boiling) water and add a few drops of the soap.
3. Place one-category/similar items at a time in to the water and soap solution and let them sit for 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Fill your second bowl with lukewarm water.
5. Take each item out of the solution separately. With the toothbrush use gentle, buffing motion to brush away any stubborn dirt. Dip the brush in to the soapy solution until you are satisfied with the result.
6. Placed the cleaned item in to the second bowl of water to rinse off the cleaning solution, and finish by gently drying the pieces with the clean cotton cloth.
It is a good idea to embark up on this process, away from your any bathroom or kitchen sinks, to avoid loosing a treasured heirloom.
We recommend using a silver cleaning cloths; those are very affordable and available from all good jewellery stores.
You might find that some more intricate jewellery pieces, or delicate family heirlooms require a professional touch. At Sotiris Petalas we offer a wealth of knowledge, 40 years of experience combined with modern technology to breathe life in you beloved treasures. We offer this service, complimentary for any jewellery purchased from our brand.
It is completely normal for metals to loose their shine over time. Exposure to air and moisture causes the metals to oxidise. However with our expert advice you are sure to return them to their shiny stunning selves.
Sotiris Petalas Team